Dragon Age After Effects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

This World
The forum has a new format for working on a revival - new everything if people decide that they want to start a new campaign.

* The Warden Commander is a small dwarf named Nygozy, duster background - may change
* Alistair Theirin is the King and did the ritual with Morrigan to save Nygozy.
* The Cousland background is taken by Macha.* - don't know yet
* The elf background is taken by Calliara.

Latest topics
» CALLING - Anyone Left?
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am by Damien Zeehem

» Super Quick Sketch of Badassery
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm by Calliara

» WHO CAN STILL PLAY?
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm by Calliara

» Damien - the unoriginal soundtrack
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm by Damien Zeehem

» The dawn of new days
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm by Damien Zeehem

» Dwelling of Tears - A Double Entendre
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm by Macha

» So - Dragon Age 3
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am by Ianto

» MSN Failure (and Graduating!)
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm by Final Warrior

» Happy birthday Dragonis !
A long voyage ends...Another begins I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm by Dragonis

A long voyage ends...Another begins

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A long voyage ends...Another begins Empty A long voyage ends...Another begins

Post  Kaine Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:27 pm

The castle of Highever looms in the distance as the mighty galleon drops anchor out in the harbour, just in view of the Highever City.

Kaine looks to the city, his hands gripping the railing of the vessel. He snorts at the view, a sneer on his face. He quickly turns away, his dreadlocks whip around his head, creating a quiet snapping sound as they whirled.

"Why isn't the longboat lowered yet?" snarling the demand.

"Ahoy, sorry Ser, we be doin' that now." a deckhand replied, shaken by the sight and sound of the muscular brute of a man.

"Then hurry it up, I have had enough of this boat!", he pushed the deckhand out of the way, sending him sprawling to the deck of the ship.

"Captain!" he yelled.

An aged, and sea haggard man looked over, stopping in mid order, and looked over at Kaine with a look of pure anger. As soon as he saw the brute, his face soften, and took a deep breath, and swallowed. With one last whispered order, and a push, he sent the crewman to his duties. With a deep sigh, and a forced smile, he quickly descended the stairs from the helm, to the mid-deck below.

As the captain came into view, Kaine threw a bulging pouch at him; with great dexterity for an older man, the captain grabbed it out of the air.

"That should be sufficient payment for our voyage." he gruffly said.

The captain heft it in his hand, as if weighing it, " Aye, seems about right t' me mate ," the captain replied

" Arrr, lower the longboat and prepare t' go ashore boys!" he barked, ordering his men to finally lower the boat.

Kaine whistled, a shriek above him responded, and a large Falcon responded, diving down from the crows nest, before unfolding its wings, swooping over the heads of the sailors below. A few of the men yelped in surprise, as the bird almost clipped them on its way by.

The falcon landed with ease on Kaines shoulder, flapped its large wings a few times for balance, and gave out one last shriek.

Kain scratched the breast of the bird in greeting. The falcon stood a good half metre in height, and with its wings spread out, at an impressive wing span of just under a metre in length. It was dark grey in colour, except for its breasts, which were pure white; while its back was orangish in color, going from its back, to the tip of its head. Its tail feathers were pure white as well.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

A long voyage ends...Another begins Empty Re: A long voyage ends...Another begins

Post  Sloane Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Sloane stood in the bow of the ship and savoured the feel of the wind through her hair. It had been a long journey, but something about the sea gave her a sense of freedom she had rarely felt.

"Well looks like we're finally just about there buddy. Bet you'll be glad for solid ground again!" She said to the mabari sitting on the deck beside her as she absently scratched his head. He let out an excited bark at her words. Dogs were not meant for life at sea and the voyage had been a rough one for Sobaka.

Sloane took one last deep breath and then turned to the commotion behind her. She had learned little about her new companion on the voyage from Kirkwall other than to stay out of his way when he was in a nasty mood, which seemed to be pretty much always. She conferred quickly with a passing crewmember to make sure her trunk would be loaded onto the boat and then turned and walked over to join Kaine as his falcon came to rest on his shoulder.

"What's the plan when we reach the docks? I got intel from some of the men as to where to find decent horses and supplies. Also got the address of a few good pubs." She said this last bit wistfully, but didn't really think her companion enjoyed her ideas of fun.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

A long voyage ends...Another begins Empty Re: A long voyage ends...Another begins

Post  Kaine Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:45 pm

"What's the plan when we reach the docks? I got intel from some of the men as to where to find decent horses and supplies. Also got the address of a few good pubs."

"Got intel hmm?" he looked at her and snorted. "I am sure you did." he chuckled.

He turned around, and leaned against the railing, "We will need a guide for the mountain trek as well. No need losing our way in those mountains. Plus it looks like your pup would only feed one of us." He laughed, and his falcon seemed to shriek in agreement. He shoved himself from the railing, and with long and powerful strides went to stand and watch as their belongings were lowering with care into the longboat; the open waters tossing it about.

The only thing that Kaine knew about his new subordinate, as that she is as good with her blade, as she is with her body. He crossed his arms, and continued to watch the men load the boat. He was starting to feel hungry for a fight, he had grown restless on this journey with only the sailors to scrap with. It soon grew quite boring as he beat them time and time again. He smirked to himself, as he knew the weight of his pouch was from full months wages of at least half of the foolish men who bet against him.

The captain approached him, "Aye, the boat is all ready for you Ser. May you see safe harbour again." Kaine and the Captain clasped arms in respect, and nodded to each other.

Kaine called to his companion, "It is time." and descended into the boat below.

Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Sloane was glad they were continuing on their journey. She found sitting still as boring as Kaine appeared to. She knew he was itching to fight something worthwhile and so was she. The male company on the ship had been rather limited for other pursuits as well.

Sloane nodded her fairwells to the captain and crew then lowered Sobaka down to the boat below before going over the railing herself. As the rowing crew set off for shore she scanned the shoreline ahead to memorize the layout of the town. "Ser, would you like me to procure a guide and horses while you seek out provision? I can be a tad more, ummm... personable than yourself, no offense. When would you like to depart? I doubt suitable arrangements can be ready before nightfall, so perhaps morning would be best?"

It has been many years since Sloane has worked closely with a superior officer and she was used to calling the shots. She was trying her best to remember her training and be deferential and respectful but it wasn't really in her nature. She was incredibly loyal to the templars and their cause but she was also strong willed and used to being in command. "The crew recommended The Shipwreck as a place for cheap lodging and decent food. Perhaps we should meet there for the evening meal?"
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:33 pm

"Ser, would you like me to procure a guide and horses while you seek out provision? I can be a tad more, ummm... personable than yourself, no offense. When would you like to depart? I doubt suitable arrangements can be ready before nightfall, so perhaps morning would be best?"

"Yes a nice rest from the long journey would be good for us. It will get us back in the right frame of mind."

Kaine thought for a moment, and sneered, "Yes, a good dock tavern will do just nicely." He reached down, and took a pouch from his belt, and tossed it to Sloane, while giving her a knowing wink. "That should cover our day and night stay, food, and any damages that might occur during our stay."

Kaine's falcon took flight, shrieking, and began to follow the boat, circling overhead.

Kaine looked up and smiled, "I guess Horus decided he needed to stretch his wings for awhile"

Kaine slammed his fist into the wooded bench he was sitting on, splintering it, "Row faster you sea faring Maggots!" he snarled at the rowers. With the fear of being eaten put into their minds the four rowers put all their strength into it, and the long boat soon began to pick up speed.

Kaine grinned evilly; he knew that no one could turn him down when he intimidated them.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 am

Sloane was glad she hadn't overstepped her authority. She liked a commander that let the troops think on their own, within reason of course. A soldier needed to be able to follow commands, but they also needed to be able to think on their own when there were no commands to follow. She accepted the pouch he tossed with a nod of understanding.

She grinned to herself as Kaine scared the rowers half to death. He didn't seem like such a bad sort, as long as he was on your side of the battlefield. He was spoiling for a fight and she pitied whoever ended up on the recieving end of that desire. She hated to admit it, even to herself, but he was one of the few she had ever met that she wasn't sure of the outcome if she ever met him on the battlefield.

Finally the boat approached the docks and began to slow. Despite their fear these were seasoned sailors and the boat kissed the dock with barely a bump. When the boat was secured Sloane stepped lightly onto the dock with Sobaka on her heals. He was so excited to be so close to land he was practically vibrating but he was a well trained soldier and stayed at her side. "Oh go on then, have a good roll, but we move out in five." Sobaka barked his understanding and dashed off to the nearest piece of solid land to relieve himself and have a good roll in the blessedly dry dirt.

Sloane turned to confer with the lead rower and within moments their belongings were loaded onto a small cart that was being attached to a mule for transport to the inn. As the mule was hitched she let out a loud whistle to call Sobaka and then turned to Kaine, "Permission to depart Ser?"
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:18 pm

"Permission to depart Ser?"

Kaine dismissed her with a gesture of his hand, as he swung himself up onto the docks.

The cart was loaded, and the sailors pushed off from the docks, as a dock worker led their cart away, towards "The Shipwreck".

Horus shrieked from above, and came diving down to again rest upon Kaines shoulder. Kaine cracked his knuckles as he looked around at the scum and villainy that occupied this part of the docks. He pounded his fist into the palm of his hand, looking for the biggest guy around. Soon he saw a towering beast of a man, at least two heads and a shoulder above the rest.

He was bald, except for a top knot that was pulled back and braided. Numerous tattoos covered most of his musclular body, and everyone seemed to give him a wide berth as he was carrying what looked like two bundles of wood on either shoulder.

Kaine raised his eye brows at the strength of this man, and an evil grin spread across his face.

"The perfect challenge indeed." he whispered under his breath as he headed in the direction of the tavern.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:17 pm

At Kaine's gesture Sloane followed the cart as it began to move. Sobaka was waiting for them when they reached solid ground. After weeks on the sea the ground felt odd beneath her feet. Her body still wanted to roll with the waves that were no longer there. Maybe she should wait until she re-adjusted before she picked any fights.

When they reached the tavern Sloane charmed the innkeeper into giving her and Kaine the best rooms for a very reasonable price, and to not complain about Sobaka's presense indoors. She also arranged room in the stables for the horses and gear they were going to acquire and picked up some local news and rumours. When she enquired about a guide she was told there was an excellent guide availible that came to the tavern every night for the evening meal.

Sloane decided to take care of business before pleasure and headed out into the town. She followed her nose to the market district and quickly found what the most suitable looking stable. She didn't want the fanciest one as the horses wouldn't be conditioned for the hard work of crossing the mountains, but she also didn't want a place where the animals were overworked or mistreated. She found a quiet, umassuming stables in a back corner of the market district, one that was obviously popular enough with locals not to need flashy advertisement.

Inside she was greeted by the stable owner, a handsome woman in her mid-fourties with a no nonsense attitude. Sloane knew the type and knew to use her brains instead of her body on this one. She was able to acquire a sturdy and agile grey mare for herself and a strong willed but dependable black stallion for Kaine. The stable owner warned that the stallion could be headstrong, but Sloane had no doubt Kaine could handle him. She also attained two pack mules to carry their gear and supplies. She figured any decent guide would have a mount of his own, and so left the stable to head back to the market while a groom prepared the mounts and their tack to be delievered to the inn.

While Kaine was in charge of most of the provision gathering there were a few items she wanted for herself. She needed a new deck of cards as her had gotten salty and soggy on the voyage. She also bought a small hunting bow and a quiver of decent arrows for hunting while they were on the trail. She had not bothered to bring hers from Kirkwall as space had been limited and hunting bows were easily found.

With her purchases made she began making her way back to the inn to await the arrival of the guide.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

After Kaine sized up the large man, he headed towards the market district in search of supplies.

He scanned the area, which was bustling with people, and noticed a vendor or two that looked like they could sell him the things he need.

With out regard to others in the market square, he began pushing his way towards their location.

"Hey watch it!" a scrawny little man said. Kaine turned and glared and gave him a low growl. The little man backed off hands in the air showing a sign of defeat. The man turned on his heel, and disappeared into the crowd.

Kaine turned back towards the vendors, as he got close, he went to pull out a pouch of sovereigns, and realized he was short one. He whipped around, and scanned the crowd for the scrawny thin haired little man.

All of a sudden the man jumped up onto a crate, and their eyes met; with a salute, and scrawny fellow jumped back into the crowd.

With narrowed eyes, he took off after him, throwing his weight into the crowd, pushing men and woman alike out of his way, people began to curse and swear at him; then shut up as they saw the size of the man pushing his way through the throngs of people. Soon people knew he was coming, and just parted way for him.

Soon the crowd parted and the skinny little man was standing there against the building, tossing the pouch of coins up and down, grinning at the on coming hulk. He winked at Kaine, and dashed into an alley.

Kaine roared, startling the shoppers around him. Taking off at full tilt, jumped over a crate, and shoved a barrel out of his way.

As soon as he turned the corner in the alley, he spotted the man sprinting in the distance, a good fifty yards ahead of him. He whistled, calling Horus to him, and commanded the bird to take chase of the man. The bird took off, going up, and then diving down towards the thief, shrieking a war cry as he went.

Kaine grinned, and took pursuit of the man, his long and power strides slowly closing gap between them. Horus's dive took him close to the man, and he shrieked again. This time startling him. He looked up at Horus, and then back at Kaine slowly catching up with him. With a look of fear tried to speed up, and as he looked back in front of him, he stumbled and fell and went flying into some nearby crates.

Horus landed on the wrecked crates, and cawed in victory. Kaine slowed to a jog once he got near the man; who at this time was just getting up. As he looked up, Kaine was standing in front of him, knuckles cracking, and an angry look upon his face.

"Ser, please, I have 6 wee kids to feed," the man started, his voice trembling in fear.

"Every thief uses the same excuse, think of something different." Kaine growled.

"Uhhh...my mother is sick, and needs a healer?" the thief asked

Kaine just shook his head, and sighed. "Really? Your life is at stake, and that is the best you can come up with?"

The man began to tremble, and his face lost all colour. Kaine raised his clawed fist, and swung at the man, stopping just before hitting him in the face.

The man instantly soiled himself, and fainted. Kaine took a sniff of the foul smell, then sniffed the man, "Gahh!" and dropped him to the ground.

He squatted down, and scooped up his coin pouch, testing the weight in his hand. He opened it up, took out two sovereigns, and tossed them on the mans chest.

"That's payment for the entertainment. Next time, come up with a better reason for stealing my coins."

With that, he turned and left the alleyway as Horus flew over, and perched himself on Kaines shoulder. Instinctively he scratched the falcons breast, and rewarded him with a pat on the head.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Sloane and Sobaka took their time walking slowly back toward the Inn. Sloane wanted to listen to the crowds of people around her and hear what the townspeople had to say when they thought no one was listening. Rumours were flying about the Hero of Fereldan and her party in Denerim and what they would do now that the blight was over.

There was plenty of gossip about Fereldan's new king as well, but she doubted most of it was true. Many of the rumours mentioned how handsome he was and she thought she'd like to stop by the city and check one day.

There was also more local gossip about weather and crops and ships and all that, but nothing of great interest, at least not at first. Then she heard that a large armoured man had chased a thief through the market district and caused quite a stir. She shook her head at this and chuckled to herself wondering what kind of trouble her superior officer was causing. Perhaps it was a good thing they were leaving town soon.

Sloane reached the inn about an hour before the normal start of the evening meal. First she checked the stables to assure herself their new mounts had arrived and were being properly cared for before heading inside. "Ser, could I get supper for myself and my companion here when it's ready. Also when that guide you mentioned earlier arrives could you please send him my way? I'd really appreciate it" she said while giving him her most charming smile. He grumbled nodded in agreement but grumbled as he walked away about serving a dog in his pub.

She then took a seat at a table in the corner so she had a clear view of the door and all the room's occupants but none of them could sneak up on her while Sobaka laid down at her feet under the table.

As the hour was still early the tavern was fairly empty. Two old men sat at a table near the fire playing cards and five rough looking sailors occupied a table near the bar. The sailors gave her an appraising glance, but her scowl and nod toward the large sword hilt behind her shoulder made them thing better of their evening plans. Sloane pulled out her new deck of cards and began a game of solitaire while she nursed her ale and waited for the guide. She would not allow herself much to drink until after her work was completed.

Last edited by Sloane on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes)
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Kaine shoved his way passed the gawkers as he made his way out of the alley, and headed back towards the vendors.

He strolled up to one of the vendors, tossed down two bulging coin purses, " I need enough food, water, and mountaineering equipment to get over the mountains and reach the northern imperial road.Enough for three people."

The vendor said nothing, as he continued to stare on the two pouches laying on his table. Kaine clapped his hands loudly in the face of he merchant to get his attention.

"Wha.." the man looked up, startled at the sudden intrusion into his day dream of riches.

Kaine grabbed the plump merchant by his collar, picked him up off the ground, and brought his close to his face, "Did you hear what I said, or do I take my business elsewhere?" he snarled, spraying spittle into the mans face.

"Uhhh..Yes. Yes. Yes. Mountaineering equipment, food, water, to get over the mountains to the high road. three people. Yes. And when do you need this for good ser?" he replied, his eyes trying to look down at the table to the stuffed pouches of sovereigns that lay there.

The large warrior tossed the man back, where he tripped and stumbled into a pile of sacks.

"Have ready, and delivered to "The Shipwreck", by sun up tomorrow. All packed and ready to go."

He started to turn to leave, then quickly swung back around and slammed his fists down onto the table, "Don't make me come after you. If I do..." he trailed off, smiling evilly at the now very frightened merchant; Horus shrieked in agreement.

"Y..e..s... S..e..r," he stammered.

Kaine chuckled to himself, leaving the market behind him, heading towards "The Shipwreck." His mouth was dry, and he knew a good mug of ale was need, or twelve, whichever he decided.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:54 am

About twenty minutes later Sloane looked up as the tavern door opened and a burly man in his mid-fourties entered and headed over to the bar. The man had a head of wild greying hair and a large beard to match. Sloane knew this must be the recommended guide even before he took his mug of ale and headed her way.

Sloane put her cards away and stood to greet the man as he approached. The man put his ale down on the table and said gruffly "The name's Lamont. Heard ye was lookin fer a guide?"

Sloane reached for his hand and replied, "I'm Sloane Preeda. My companion and I are looking for a capable guide to lead us over the mountains to the Imperial North Road, and rumour has it you're the best in town. Please sit." She gestured to the chair across from her and sat herself.

Lamont gave her an appraising look and seemed to reach some sort of decision as he nodded.
"Alrigh, ye look like ye kin hold yer own on the road. You got mounts and supplies an' the like? And what's the pay, I don work fer free ye know."

Sloane settled in to begin making plans with their new guide as their supper arrived. The bar maid looked confused as to why she had a bowl of meat on her serving tray until Sobaka popped his head out from under the table and she nearly dropped her tray in suprise. This caused a huge belly laugh to erupt from Lamont which seemed to break any ice left and they got down to serious business as they began to eat.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:54 am

Kaine threw the door to the tavern open, and the hum of chatter could be heard through out the bar. Horus immediately took flight, and perched himself up on the rafters, with a perfect view of all the people below.

He scanned the room, and saw Sloane talking with a wild hair burly man, with her Mabari dog eating under the table.

Soon he saw who he was looking for; the giant that had been working the docks earlier today. He was at a table on the far wall, with six other dock workers, drinking large mugs of ale, and eating a hearty meal after a long days labour.

He went up to the bar, slammed his fist down on the counter, getting the bartenders attention.

"A pitcher of ale." Kaine said, without taking his eyes off the brute dockworker. The bartender served up the pitcher in record time, and Kaine sprinkled a few pieces of silver onto the bar.

He grabbed the ale, and without needing a glass, he downed the whole thing, while wiping the froth from his mouth he slammed the pitcher onto the bar.

"Another!" and threw a couple more silver the bartenders way. The man behind the bar raised his eyebrows a bit, and served up another pitcher of ale.

Kaine grabbed the pitcher, nodded to the barkeep, and took a seat within ear shot of his target. He slowly began nursing his ale, listening intently to what these men were saying.

He soon finished his second pitcher of ale, only feeling a slight buzz. He stood up, grinned to himself, and readied himself to play his part properly.

He knocked his chair back, and stumbled over to the dock workers table, "What dis yooou saay bout mi mudder" he purposely slurred.

The dock workers looked at him with confused looks on their faces; one of them piped up, "Uhh, I think you heard wrong. You should sit down, it looks like you've had a little to much tonight eh pal?"

Kaine looked at the dock worker, a medium size man, with standard defined muscles of someone who works hard labour.

"Wat di yooou sa ta me?" he slurred, swaying back and forth, pointing an uneasy finger at the man.

All the dock works looked at themselves, the only one still drinking was the brute of a man, who didn't seem to even notice the drunken man arguing with his friends.

They all stood up as one, "Look, buddy, we are just trying to relax after a hard days work on the docks. Go bother someone else." one of the workers said, as he went to grab Kaine's arm to lead him away.

Before the man could touch him, he grabbed his wrist, and wrenched the guys arm behind his back, and smashed his head into the table. The table shattered under the force of the blow, and the dock worker fell to the floor, unmoving, blood flowing from his face from a clearly broken nose and split lip.

The brute just picked up his mug of ale before the table was smashed, taking a long swig, watching the fight over the brim of his glass.

The dock workers scattered, and started to surround Kaine. Kaine grinned, and laughed loudly, "Now this is going to be fun! Right boys?"

Before they could respond, he grabbed onto a support beam, jumped up, and landed two feet into one of the workers chest, sending him flying across the room, smashing into a table. He slumped to the ground unmoving.

One of the workers took a chair, and smashed it over Kaine's back, making him stumble a bit forward. Another worker came at him from the side, looking to tackle him to the ground. With quick, trained reflexes, Kaine went down to one knee and as the worked impacted him, he rolled him off his shoulder and flipped him over, sending the man crashing to the floor.

The three workers who were left, looked at each other, and their other friend trying to get back up, clutching his back.

They sneered at Kaine, each drawing daggers. Without another moment, all three charged at him, daggers in front of them, looking to skewer him. With each hand, Kaine grabbed the wrists of the two outer workers, and with momentum, pulled them closer, and then threw them back into the last worker.

The surprised worker's dagger tore through the back of his friend, who fell to the ground, moaning in pain as blood began to seep through his tunic.

The last two workers looked at Kaine, and then their fallen friend with shock, not knowing what to do.

With battle honed instincts Kaine dropped to his knees beside the gravely injured man, and applied pressure to the wound.

He turned to the last of the men,"Get a healer NOW!" he ordered. The men stood up straight, and instantly obeyed, running from the inn, towards the small chantry in town.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:30 pm

Sloane watched Kaine enter the bar and and down his first pitcher of ale. When he ordered the second she decided now would be a great time for a walk. "The loud angry one over there is my companion and he's been cooped up on a boat for a few weeks. I suggest we uhh... go for a walk? Do you know any good healers close by?"

Lamont snorted and nodded his understanding as he downed the last of his ale and stood. "Aye lass I do, an what a nice night fer an after dinner stroll. M'lady" He said with a chuckle as he held out his arm for her.

Sloane linked arms with Lamont and they headed out the door with Sobaka at their heals. Sloane was quickly beginning to like Lamont with his rough sense of humour and quick wit. The pair strolled down the dark street, alert to dangers but seemingly carefree to an untrained eyes. A mugger thought about ducking out of an alley at them but one look at Sobaka's teeth and Sloane's sword and he decided he liked living after all.

They stopped at a small house on the edge of the docks and Lamont knocked on the door. "Hey Sean, it's Lamont. 'Bout to be a scuffle at th' Shipwreck n' yer services may be needed. There's a mug o' ale in it fer ya." After a minute of silence a scrawny ill-kept older man in his late sixties opened the door and peered out at them. His shaggy thinning grey hair looked like it hadn't been washed in a decade and his robes looked about as bad. He seemed twitchy and nervous and Sloane looked doubtfully from Sean to Lamont.

"Don werry lass, ol' Sean may be crazy, but he's the best healer here 'bouts tha won ask or tell. Common Sean, let's go."

Sloane gave the healer one last doubtfull glance and then nodded. "Hope you're right Lamont, knowing my companion things could be getting pretty messy right about now. We should be getting back."

As they drew close to the Inn they could hear the sounds of a fight inside and Sobaka barked in excitement, wanting to join the fun. "Not now buddy," Sloane said, "this isn't our fight. We'll find one soon, don't worry."

Just then two terrified looking men dashed out the door covered in blood, and stopped in their tracks as the new arrivals were spotted. "Sean! oh oh th.. thank the Maker! We need you!" One of the men stammered and almost collapsed in his worry and fright. His friend caught him and gestured for the healer to hurry.

Sloane pushed the reluctant and twitchy Sean infront of her and through the door that Lamont was holding open. "Thought you might need this, Ser." Sloane said to Kaine as she pushed Sean toward the injured man.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 am

"Thought you might need this, Ser."

"Yes you thought right, " Kaine starting, "Those idiots pulled a knife in a harmless bar fight." As he glared at the two returning dock workers.

"Are you the healer?" Kaine gestured towards Sean. Sean looked around, looking for someone, looking back at Kaine, he pointed to himself with a look of surprise on his face, "Me?"

"Yes, if you are the healer then get over and tend to this man before he bleeds out." he ordered.

Sean tumbled forward, looking all confused, not sure of really what to do. With a shove, Kaine pushed the healer on to the injured worker. "Heal him dammit!"

Kaine knelt down and whisper something into his ear. Without another moment, the healer slowly pulled the dagger out, and looked at it for a moment intensively, almost like he was gazing into the blood. Kaine looked at the healer, and raised an eyebrow thinking to himself.

The healer reached back for the dagger, just as Kaine can forward, and stepping on the blade. "And why do you need the blade?" he asked gruffly

"Its part of the healing ritual." Sean replied calmly.. "There is no spell that i know that needs a bloody dagger," Kain snarled

"Trust me, its needed, our this man will surely die." Kain reluctantly released the blade. Sean pulled it to him, clutching it to his chest, like a boy who lost his dog.

He then looked around nervously, placing a hand over the wound, and began concentrating. A soft light glowed from his hand, pulsating towards the wound. Without another word, he licked the blood from the blade. The soft energy glow turned blood red, and enveloped the wounded worker.

Kaine's Templar instincts immediately turned on and went into high gear. He tackled the magic, and pinned him to the ground. "You are a blood mage!" he said with pure hatred and disgust in his voice.

He took out a dagger, and before another could react, he slammed it down, pinning the ruffled, and dirty robes to the bar room floor.

He got up, and looked around the room, "This man is a blood mage, and you harbour him within your town?" is face turned dark with rage, and the lyrium tattoos began to glow as his anger rose.

All the patrons of the bar who were quietly nursing their drinks, stopped, and looked over at the commotion. Some backed away in fear, as they saw an armoured brute towering over their town healer.

"All blood mages must be killed. Either that, or turned over to the Chantry to be tranquiled. However, if he has already went through his harrowing, then a tranquil ritual can not be don't."

Kaine took a deep breath, "Does anyone come and claim responsibility for this man? " He looked down at Sean, and then at the patrons in the bar.

One gruff looking man, a thick greying beard covered his face, and hung down to his belly, "We could get Helmont, he is the elder of this village, and is in charge of us while the fancy people live on in their castle." he said in between puffs from his wooden pipe, that seemed to rest in the corner of his mouth.

Kaine took his dagger from the tunic of the mage, and roughly brought him to his feet. He took a pair of shackles from his belt, and with unpleasant force, he put them on the mage, his hands restrained behind him. Out of a large pouch for the other side of his belt, he produced a folded piece of black cloth. He quickly unfolded it, and put it over the confused mages head. The front of the hood bore the Templar Order's herald stitched all in blood red.

Kaine looked over and Sloane, "This one must be brought before this elder, Helmont. Help me escort him there." he order.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:37 am

Sloane leaned against the wall by the door and watched events unfold before her.

"You are a blood mage!"
From the second she laid eyes on him she'd known there was something wrong with the scruffy mage. She had figured he was just a lyrium addled appostate or something though, not a blood mage. Instantly alert, a dagger appearing in her hand, seemingly from nowhere. She was glad now she was still in her leather armor. Her sword was still across her back, but the area was too small for efficient swordfighting and her daggers would serve her better. As she readied herself for danger so did Sobaka. Wait, if this man was a blood mage why had Sobaka not reacted to his presence before?

Sloane didn't have long to ponder this fact before the mage was shackled and she was recieving an order. "Yes ser" Sloane replied automatically as she took up position beside the prisoner and Sobaka moved to guard the rear. "Lamont, lead the way to this Helmont at once." she ordered as her templar training took over.

Lamont was still near the door looking perplexed by the whole scene. Sloane had not mentioned that her and Kaine were templars and he had not ever expected to see templars in a dock tavern. "Yes miss. He opened the door and then turned back to her no longer sure how to address her. The seemingly seasoned but carefree young woman had transfored before his eyes into a dangerous weapon. "Can I say miss, ol' Sean ner hurt a fly. Aye he uses th blood magics, but only fer healin' miss. Ol' Sean has lived 'ere fer o'er ten years with no trouble."
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:11 pm

"Can I say miss, ol' Sean ner hurt a fly. Aye he uses th blood magics, but only fer healin' miss. Ol' Sean has lived 'ere fer o'er ten years with no trouble."

Kaine looked at the guide, as he shoved the mage towards the door.

"So, because he uses blood magic to heal makes it all ok then? Well, we should just release him then." Kaine sneered.

"Do you know how they become blood mages in the first place?" Kaine asked as he looked around the bar.

"He has to make a pact with a demon, or let one inside him so it can experience our lives. This is probably what drove him insane in the first place."

People murmured to each other, some gasping in surprise.

"Ignorance is no excuse!" Kaine roared, as he shoved the mage passed the guide and out the door. "He will see justice for his crimes." he said as he walked out of the tavern, and on to the street where Sean was kneeling on stairs of the tavern

Sean's shoulders bobbed up and down as if he were sobbing.

"Get up demon worshiper!" he scream as he kicked the mage forward. Sean fell to his side, his face smiling, his eyes aglow like fire. He was not crying, but laughing.

"You pitiful mortal, you have finally broken my prison of this flesh suit I wear." a dark and foreboding voice echoed out from behind Sean's lips, a voice void of humanity.

With those words, Sean rose up into the air as creases of light cascaded across his body. A violent flash of light, and a wave of force knocked Kaine back into the Tavern, smashing through the door, sending splinters of shattered wood in all directions. Sean's body was ripped apart, and an Abomination took his place.

All that could be heard from inside the bar was an evil maniacal laugh.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm

As soon as Sloane heard the mages laughter she knew there was going to be trouble and her sword and shield were instantly off her back and in her hands. As the abomination spoke Sloane and Sobaka took cover on the sides of the doorway and watched as Kaine sailed past them.

Sobaka went flying out the door first, leaping from the top of the stairs and slamming into the abomination. He didn't manage to knock the abomination down but he did distract it long enough for Sloane to charge out the door and land a solid blow with her sword to the creature's left arm.

Sobaka slid down, raking the creature's body with his claws on the way down, then dodged out of the way while Sloane delivered a solid shield bash. The abomination unfortunately managed to stay on its feet, but it was off balance enough for Sloane to deliver another solid blow to the left arm, this time severing it almost completely. Sobaka dodged back in to attack the creatures legs while Sloane attempted to dodge a frost bolt. She managed to dodge the main thrust of the spell but some hit her shield freezing it and causing her to drop it before it froze her arm solid.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 pm

As Sloane and Sobaka ran through the door and attacked the Abomination, Kaine staggered to his feet and shook his head to clear it.

He looked up just in time to see the demon freeze Sloane's arm and shield. Rage built up inside of him, as he charged out the door. Just before his berserker side took over he yelled "I command you to silence and cast magic no more!!" And with that, a blue and white, spiraling blast of energy erupting from Kaine's out stretched arm, and enveloped the Abomination.

A aura of silence engulfed the creature, and no sound came from it, even as it roared in anger.

It charged at Kaine, pushing Sloane aside and knocking her back with his one good arm. Sobaka kept at his heels trying to do as much damage as possible to protect Sloane.

Just as the demon charged forward, Kaine drew his two handed blade, and the solid lyrium centre flared to life, meeting the unnatural creature head on.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

The frost attack hadn't done any permanent damage but Sloane's shield arm was numb and she didn't think it was ready to hold a dagger yet. Instead she relied on her templar training and sent a stream of holy smiting fire towards the abomination hitting it full on in the back.

Sloane dodged out of the way as the abomination tried to attack her with its good arm. Sobaka took advantage of Sloane's distraction to chomp down hard on the creature's calf with his massive jaws. He began shaking his head violently back and forth causing considerable damage to the leg before releasing it and jumping out of the way of a wild kick from the abomination's other leg.

Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm

As Sloane's holy smite blasted the creature in the back, it stumbled forward.

The rage inside Kaine burned through his blood; he jumped up, his sword over his head, slamming it down on to the demons left shoulder, slicing through and lodging itself several inches into its oozing flesh.

The lyrium centre of the sword flared up and seemed to come to life as swirling blue and red energies pulsed from the Abomination into the sword itself, leaching its mana, and drawing it into the blade.

The momentum of his charge, and mighty blow continued to send Kaine forward. The force of the blow, along with the momentum of Kaine's charge sent it flying backwards. It fell over Sobaka, but with his hands firmly on the hilt of his sword, Kaine used the momentum of the demon falling to vault over it.

He flew over the demon, landing on the hard surface of the ground. He had tried to tuck himself into a shoulder roll, but was unsuccessful, landing awkwardly and popping it from its socket. He continued to tumble and roll a few more feet before he skidded to a stop, resting on his stomach.

Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Kaine and Sobaka were both down, but so was the abomination. Sloane snaked her way in lightening fast. Gripping her sword in both hands she rammed the point down into the abomination's throat, severing its spine. She flinched slightly as the sword point hit the ground underneath. She was going to need to find a blacksmith before they left town.

Sobaka came over and gave the abomination a sniff before turning to urinate on it, letting Sloane know that it was very dead.

"Well so much for a quiet relaxing night eh boss?" Sloane commented as she cleaned her sword and retrieved her shield. She then sat down on the tavern steps and pulled a small flask from her belt and took a generous swallow. She offered the flask to Kaine as she scratched Sobaka's ears with her free hand.

"You want Lamont as a guide boss, knowing he was harbouring a blood mage, or should I go find another?"
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Kaine shook his head to clear it; his ears ringing from the fall. He tried to get up, but realized that his right arm was twisted at the shoulder, and was hanging uselessly at his side.

He struggled at first, but managed to get up under the weight of his armour with only one useful arm.
Stumbling at first, Kaine started to feel dizzy from the pain; his rage was wearing off. He walked up the stairs, ignoring the offered drink, and slammed his shoulder into the door frame, popping it back into place.

He clenched his teeth in pain, as he tried not to scream out.

The warrior's heart was still racing from the battle and he was breathing heavily; mostly from the pain than anything else.

He lumbered over to Sloane, dropping himself to the stairs with a heavy sigh. He slumped down next to her grabbing the offered flask at the same time. As if he was dieing of thirst, he took a long hard swig before handing it back.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sloane Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29 pm

"You're looking a little bit rough there boss. Do you want us to delay our departure by a day or two? And what about the guide?" She glanced over at Lamont who was still standing at the top of the stairs looking totally stunned, as were most of the people in the tavern.

"These people's shock is going to wear off soon and we're going to have a mess on our hands. We can either play the templar hand and deal with the chantry and the nobility, or we can take our mounts and what supplies we have and beat it out of here like... now." Sloane was incredibly glad she had opted to have the mounts delivered here earlier today rather than picking them up in the morning.

Sloane breathed a deep sigh and took another swig of her flask. The lyrium laced whiskey burned smoothly down her throat and into her stomach. It helped to calm her down and replenish her energy, especially after a fight against magic. Unfortunatly the fight had left her itching for a different kind of action, a kind she wasn't likely to find tonight with this mess to deal with. It was looking to be a long night, and not in a good way.

Slowly she stood and put the flask away, ready to carry out whatever commands Kaine decided to issue.
Sloane
Sloane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaine Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:01 am

Kaine stood up, feeling a renewed energy as his lyrum tattoos surged the magical liquid through his body.

"Keep the guide," he started, "If we need to, we will get the chantry involved."

Kaine walked to the remains of the abomination, and with a slurping sound, removed the great sword from its body.

Black ooze dripped from the blade. He looked around for somewhere to wipe it off on, and decided on a knot of grass growing beside corner of the bar.

As soon as the ooze touched the grass, and was removed from the blade, they wilted and died right before his eyes.

"Sloane, lets take the guide with us to what passes for a chantry in this place." he called to her.

Horus flew out of the tavern, and shrieked as he ascended into the air. He circled once, and dived down, to come to a graceful rest on Kaine's shoulder.

"Oh and get some villagers to clean up to clean that up will you, " he called back to her, as he main his way to the chantry on the far end of this street. Its elegant stone structure standing out amongst the rest of the shacks that made up this fishing village. Andraste's symbol was quite apparent on the front. He spit on to the ground at its sight, slowing his walk a little, to allow the others to catch up.
Kaine
Kaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next