Dragon Age After Effects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

This World
The forum has a new format for working on a revival - new everything if people decide that they want to start a new campaign.

* The Warden Commander is a small dwarf named Nygozy, duster background - may change
* Alistair Theirin is the King and did the ritual with Morrigan to save Nygozy.
* The Cousland background is taken by Macha.* - don't know yet
* The elf background is taken by Calliara.

Latest topics
» CALLING - Anyone Left?
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am by Damien Zeehem

» Super Quick Sketch of Badassery
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm by Calliara

» WHO CAN STILL PLAY?
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm by Calliara

» Damien - the unoriginal soundtrack
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm by Damien Zeehem

» The dawn of new days
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm by Damien Zeehem

» Dwelling of Tears - A Double Entendre
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm by Macha

» So - Dragon Age 3
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am by Ianto

» MSN Failure (and Graduating!)
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm by Final Warrior

» Happy birthday Dragonis !
DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm by Dragonis

DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS

+6
Serethiel
Swift_Assassin
Devin
Final Warrior
Elenri
Nygozy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS Empty DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS

Post  Nygozy Mon May 02, 2011 7:44 am

http://invisiblecastle.com/players/show/da-ae/

I am working on seeing if this will work for our purposes. Please inform me of ideas.

~~Thanks Final Warrior for the information about this (sorry brain was not quite awake this morning)

Last edited by Nygozy on Wed May 04, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nygozy
Nygozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS Empty Re: DICE ROLLING PROGRAM AND IDEAS

Post  Elenri Mon May 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Ok I am very bad at Dice I have learned that no excuses I just suck at them lol. Not use to this kinda fighting but it is fun and fair. Anyway i can't figure this castle one out can we stick with the Dice Roller we been using? It's simple for me I am a simple life kinda guy. New things I don't understand take me a long time to figure out.
Elenri
Elenri

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 pm

1. Make an account on Invisible Castle.
2. Go to http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/
3. Enter your character name.
4. Enter the campaign name (I think it's DragonAge After Effects? It's DA-AE).
5. Enter the number of times you want to roll. (E.g., "1" rolls once; "10" rolls ten times.)
6. Enter the dice to roll. ("1d6" will roll one six-sided die; "2d10" will roll two ten-sided dice; etc.)
7. ???
8. Profit!

-- Griffinhart

Last edited by Final Warrior on Mon May 02, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

http://www.innocentmachine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

DA:AE

Smile

Nygozy
Nygozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Fixed.

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Maybe it's the game designer in me, but I don't see the point of rolling 20s.

There are, essentially, three possible outcomes to any given pair of contesting rolls:

1. Attack > Defense (alt: Defense < Attack)
2. Attack < Defense (alt: Defense > Attack)
3. Attack = Defense (alt: Defense = Attack)

Which you could just as easily model with coin flips. All you'd do is assign "Heads" the value 1 and "Tails" the value 0 (or, more generally, assign Heads and Tails non-equal values).

You would still end up with the same mechanical, probabilistic outcomes.

(Unless I missed a memo somewhere and you're rolling 20s for degrees-of-success, which makes a little more sense.)

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin Mon May 02, 2011 11:05 pm

oo; What exactly will this be used for?
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Devin wrote:oo; What exactly will this be used for?
PvP, as far as I know. Mainly because we have some characters who can't resist starting a fight with other characters and the previous time it happened kinda didn't turn out well.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Mon May 02, 2011 11:30 pm

In that case, this is a terrible system for combat resolution. It relies purely on luck and doesn't take into account character skill.

Ofc., if we were to build or utilize a system that took into account character skill, we'd have to re-do all of the character sheets to fit the format.

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Final Warrior wrote:In that case, this is a terrible system for combat resolution. It relies purely on luck and doesn't take into account character skill.
Ain't that the truth. So far it looks like Wolfram and Jezarine can't successfully cast a spell that sticks, despite the character not really possessing magic resistance who apparently can use Reaver magic to dispel it, despite it not actually being able to do that.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 am

Swift_Assassin wrote:
Final Warrior wrote:In that case, this is a terrible system for combat resolution. It relies purely on luck and doesn't take into account character skill.
Ain't that the truth. So far it looks like Wolfram and Jezarine can't successfully cast a spell that sticks, despite the character not really possessing magic resistance who apparently can use Reaver magic to dispel it, despite it not actually being able to do that.

Yea I brought that up with Nygozy....Where does it say anything about Reavers being able to do that. Reavers are blood thirsty warriors who bath in the blood of their victims... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 am

Ah. I tend to shy away from PvP, and if with me, if it must happen, we decide on the end results together. I don't like PvP. xDDD
Devin
Devin

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Tue May 03, 2011 1:08 am

>Reaver magic
Those two words don't make sense next to each other. Reavers don't use mana; they use stamina. That is to say, Reavers don't have magic. At all.

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 am

Final Warrior wrote:>Reaver magic
Those two words don't make sense next to each other. Reavers don't use mana; they use stamina. That is to say, Reavers don't have magic. At all.

-- Griffinhart
I know, I was so focused that he managed to successfully beat our rolls that I really didn't think about him displaying Templar-esque abilities. I say Templar-esque, because they can't dispel spells on themselves, especially not in that manner.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elenri Tue May 03, 2011 1:37 am

Well the dice came up in defense and in the game magic always hit. So I had to utilize little things to make it work since this isn't harry potter and you don't see as magic blue ball flying at you. And it's reaver blast not reaver magic. The blast is from his personal blood flow that destroys magic. it was the best result I could come up with to deflect a spell. You can't dodge what you can't see.
Elenri
Elenri

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Tue May 03, 2011 2:00 am

Those are handled in game as resistance, not dodging or blocking. You get hit and if you pass a resistance roll, it doesn't affect you. Look at Rakot just beating Jezarine's last sleep spell she aimed at him, he resisted it, he didn't use his berserker might to knock it away.

And as for the successfully rolling four dice in defense, with mostly higher up numbers, and also rolling an attack die that was also very high is highly unlikely...but that is a different matter entirely.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 am

Shade wrote:Well the dice came up in defense and in the game magic always hit. So I had to utilize little things to make it work since this isn't harry potter and you don't see as magic blue ball flying at you. And it's reaver blast not reaver magic. The blast is from his personal blood flow that destroys magic. it was the best result I could come up with to deflect a spell. You can't dodge what you can't see.

Reaver blast? Please show me in any of the powers that Reavers have in either DA2 or DA:O that mentions reaver blast.

DA2 Reaver powers:

Blood Frenzy
Sacrificial Frenzy
Fervor
Aura Of Pain
Devour
(Some of these have upgrades, but nowhere does it mention a reaver blast that allows you to shrug off magical attacks.)

DA:O Reaver Powers
Devour
Aura of Pain
Frightening Appearance
Blood Frenzy

(Again no mention of an ability that allows you to shrug off magical attacks)

And to further note, in the character creation section of the forum; any special abilities/skills/powers etc etc that are not in DA must be discussed and approved by a DM or Admin (Nygozy)

Yes there are certain characters in the game that have abilities outside the norm for DA, but they were all discussed with and approved by Nygozy.

Anyways this is all moot anyways, as there needs to be a more standardized combat system not just for "PVP" but for attacking NPC's as well. This is already being worked out and discussed with Nygozy and several of the DM's.

And as for PVP; unless you are PC "Villain" then there shouldn't be a reason to attacking other players.

When a character is created, the intended purpose would be to RP with the rest of the group here on the forum. If you come into the game with conflict on your mind, then there is no real way to integrate you into that part of the game.

The whole point is to play together, not against one another. Yes, there is going to be squabbles here and there, but most of those are actually in character and everyone usually "kisses and makes up" in the end.

Roleplaying is not about combat or fighting, it is about creating a character that you want to tell a story with. Yes, there are going to be times when combat will enter into play, but it is never, nor shall ever be the main focus of this RP forum.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 am

One more thing I would like to point out. When you are being attacked by quite a few people they arent all going to be facing you. WHich means they are flanking you thus allowing an easier time to hit you. Plus, being able to defend against ALL Of the attacks, that is just silly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 am

At that point, why not just use a generic system, like GURPS or Hero System? Faster and easier than building a whole new system and ironing out the horrible, horrible bugs. (And there will be horrible, horrible bugs.)

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Final Warrior wrote:At that point, why not just use a generic system, like GURPS or Hero System? Faster and easier than building a whole new system and ironing out the horrible, horrible bugs. (And there will be horrible, horrible bugs.)

-- Griffinhart

Doesn't matter what system we use, it would still have to be converted over to use in a Forum RP system. Plus, any system would be in place only as a guide line for rping. So we don't have two guys taking on a thousand enemies at once and winning....

Back to top Go down

Post  Elenri Tue May 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Demon Nygozy suggested Dice so we used dice. Lower they miss higher they hit. That was what was said numbers are not those were the rules with the Dice. And there are many cases where one warrior has beaten multiple.

Now for the Reaver Blast I already pmed Nygozy about why I did it. If you want these things to hit like they should than Dice was a bad idea. I was just following the rules of the Dice. I'm not saying against anyone all fighting systems are flawed he only one I have ever come across was a samurai fighting style but they didn't have magic just swords so easier.

Also I actually didn't come into camp with Dice planning to fight it just kinda happened sorry. And a person doesn't have to be a bad guy to fight. People in large crowds quarrel, Fight, Argue, and sometimes in the case of Wu shen of the Sun army murder his own brother. Just saying large crowds have issues. This escalated quickly I admit that was faster than usual.

And yes we don't want a Dynasty Warrior system either.
Elenri
Elenri

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Tue May 03, 2011 4:43 pm

DemonDM wrote:So we don't have two guys taking on a thousand enemies at once and winning....
Pfft, that's just because they don't know how to properly optimize their characters.

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Shade should have discussed using this new attack with myself before putting it into action. Due to this, it will not be able to be used again without major work on it's creation and my say so.

I do have the Basic Role play system but regular gaming systems have a lot of rules and regulations which would make it difficult for an easy going forum like this. We need to figure out how to do this best which will consider all of these matters.

Please continue to discuss what you think can be used. I have been reading but I'm trying to come up with ideas as well.

Nygozy
Nygozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Elenri Tue May 03, 2011 9:20 pm

What is needed is a sequence of judges. They collaborate the attacks, damage, and severity of the attack. They call godmoding or Power play or just stupidity. They call realistic wounds and damage. Like if you get your arm sliced through to the tendons then you can't hold a weapon in that hand. Or if your shoulder is nearly cleaved in half the blood loss effects the body.
Elenri
Elenri

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Tue May 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Or if you get a critical hit from a flaming sword, it actually affects you greatly.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next