Dragon Age After Effects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

This World
The forum has a new format for working on a revival - new everything if people decide that they want to start a new campaign.

* The Warden Commander is a small dwarf named Nygozy, duster background - may change
* Alistair Theirin is the King and did the ritual with Morrigan to save Nygozy.
* The Cousland background is taken by Macha.* - don't know yet
* The elf background is taken by Calliara.

Latest topics
» CALLING - Anyone Left?
I have returned I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 am by Damien Zeehem

» Super Quick Sketch of Badassery
I have returned I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2014 12:04 pm by Calliara

» WHO CAN STILL PLAY?
I have returned I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm by Calliara

» Damien - the unoriginal soundtrack
I have returned I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 12:51 pm by Damien Zeehem

» The dawn of new days
I have returned I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm by Damien Zeehem

» Dwelling of Tears - A Double Entendre
I have returned I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 10:48 pm by Macha

» So - Dragon Age 3
I have returned I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:54 am by Ianto

» MSN Failure (and Graduating!)
I have returned I_icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:41 pm by Final Warrior

» Happy birthday Dragonis !
I have returned I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:25 pm by Dragonis

I have returned

5 posters

Go down

I have returned Empty I have returned

Post  Dragonis Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 am

Sorry about my absense. My computer literally died on me the other day and I spent a grand on a new computer. This one is MUCH better. Still have to go about reinstalling everything... ugh.
Dragonis
Dragonis

Back to top Go down

I have returned Empty Re: I have returned

Post  Swift_Assassin Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 am

That sucks. Are you able to salvage your hard drive or is it pretty much long gone?
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dragonis Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:20 am

Dont know yet, probably not. Doesn't matter now I have Windows 7 Very Happy
Dragonis
Dragonis

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:02 am

you could try transferring your savegames and documents then you can format it for extra storage.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:08 am

Sucks when your computer dies! Glad you were able to get a new one!

*poke poke* waiting for both of you in Lost Youth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nygozy Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

That is nasty. On the plus side you have a new machine! Get her all up and running and we will see you later.

Hey swift . . . how do you format for extra storage? Is that just in options? I at work so no see it right now.
Nygozy
Nygozy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Swift_Assassin Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Well that depends. I have XP, so I don't know how it is with Vista or 7. In XP you have to right click My Computer, click manage, and go to where it says Disk Management. Then you can format it. You might also have to initialize the new one, but I'm not entirely sure since I last had to use it when I installed my new 500gb hard drive back in July.

Also, sorry for not posting, I had been trying to get at least to Act 3 in DA 2 before my birthday was over with.
Swift_Assassin
Swift_Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Nygozy wrote:how do you format for extra storage?

On Win 7: Control Panel -> System and Security -> Under the "Administrative Tools" header, click "Create and format hard disk partitions"

Alternatively, Start Menu -> search for "format" -> "Create and format hard disk partitions"

From thence on you should be able to figure things out.

Alternatively, from command line, you can use the "format" command if you have admin rights to the machine. ("format /?" will display possible command line switches, etc.)

Protip: don't format C:\ (or whatever partition you have Windows installed to).

Protip: both NTFS and exFAT are terrible filesystems, but NTFS doesn't have filesize caps (FAT32 allows files of size equal to 4GB minus 1 byte at most, and has a total filesystem size maximum of 2TB; NTFS has [to my knowledge] neither of these limits. Still far worse than what I have on my Ubuntu partition, but it has to do... Windows. /shakefist ).

@Dragonis: if your rig died so hard it necessitated the replacement of the entire system, I doubt your HDD was the cause (else you should've just replaced the HDD); so rip that sucker out, recover what you can, and format it for extra storage or whatever. You will always need more storage.

(At least, I will. I've got 5TB of external portable storage, 2TB internal for Windows, 2TB internal for Ubuntu, and I still need moar.)

(Thankfully, the price of secondary memory has nowhere to go but down. 2TB @ 7200RPM is getting cheaper and cheaper... I might set up a five- or six-disk RAID array at some point, if I can get my old machine shipped up here for to use as a serverbox, ufufufu~)

-- Griffinhart

Last edited by Final Warrior on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

http://www.innocentmachine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Serethiel Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Final Warrior wrote:
Nygozy wrote:how do you format for extra storage?

On Win 7: Control Panel -> System and Security -> Under the "Administrative Tools" header, click "Create and format hard disk partitions"

From thence on you should be able to figure things out.

Protip: both NTFS and exFAT are terrible filesystems, but NTFS doesn't have filesize caps (FAT32 allows files of size equal to 4GB minus 1 byte at most, and has a total filesystem size maximum of 2TB; NTFS has [to my knowledge] neither of these limits. Still far worse than what I have on my Ubuntu partition, but it has to do... Windows. /shakefist ).

@Dragonis: if your rig died so hard it necessitated the replacement of the entire system, I doubt your HDD was the cause (else you should've just replaced the HDD); so rip that sucker out, recover what you can, and format it for extra storage or whatever. You will always need more storage.

(At least, I will. I've got 5TB of external portable storage, 2TB internal for Windows, 2TB internal for Ubuntu, and I still need moar.)

(Thankfully, the price of secondary memory has nowhere to go but down. 2TB @ 7200RPM is getting cheaper and cheaper... I might set up a five- or six-disk RAID array at some point, if I can get my old machine shipped up here for to use as a serverbox, ufufufu~)

-- Griffinhart

What sort of wizard are you, to speak in such tongues?

[I actually understood more of that than I'd have thought I would, being the utterly un-savvy computer loser that I am.]
Serethiel
Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Hm, you caught me before my edits.

Serethiel wrote:What sort of wizard are you, to speak in such tongues?
Asian.

Also, I've been using computers since I was 4. I'm not even all that good at computers, to be honest.

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Serethiel Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Ah - the most magical manner of wizard indeed. The sort who knows what he's doing.
Serethiel
Serethiel

Back to top Go down

Post  Final Warrior Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Nah, half the time I go in not knowing a damn thing. Google is my savior.

Well, Google and proper Goddamn documentation. Manpages - damnit Windows, why don't you have manpages?!

(For the curious - manpage = manual page. If Windows had manpages, I could've just typed in "man format" to look up how format works and exactly how it goes about what it does. Instead, I had to guess at the command line switch to get format help - thankfully, /? was my first guess.

And before you ask - yes, "man man" will bring up the documentation for man pages under a proper *nix distro. "man woman", sadly, doesn't bring up anything on my Ubuntu distro [at least, from what I remember; I haven't actually booted into my Ubuntu partition in a couple of months.)

-- Griffinhart
Final Warrior
Final Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down